This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
Dictionary of Vexillology: U (Uncase - Upright Triangle)
Last modified: 2006-08-12 by phil nelson
Keywords: vexillological terms |
Links: FOTW homepage |
disclaimer and copyright |
write us |
On this page:
- (v) To remove a regimental, unit, service or national colour, usually with
the appropriate ceremony, from its protective case (see also
- See wavy.
- (v) To unwind a colour or parade flag from its staff after it has been uncased
(see also colour 2),
parade flag and
- UNION, THE
- 1) The canton of the US national flag - the Stars and Stripes - i.e. 13 -
50 white stars on a blue field (see also union jack 2)
and union mark).
- 2) See canton 2).
- UNION JACK
- 1) A general and officially recognized term for the British national flag
whether flown on land or sea the union flag (see also
conjoined, British flag,
national flag and
- 2) The British national flag when flown as a jack from the bows of a British
warship, to signal that a courts martial is being held, or as the command flag
of an Admiral of the Fleet (see also
flag of command, jack and naval jack under
- 3) The official term for the traditional US national jack, which consists
of the union from the US national flag (see also union).
National Flag of the United Kingdo (fotw)
Traditional National Jack, US (fotw)
Please note that the British national flag is legally
restricted to naval vessels whilst flown afloat (see also 'civil jack', 'government
jack' and 'naval jack' under 'jack'
and 'pilot jack'), however, US merchant vessels
are not forbidden by regulation to wear the union jack as described in 2) above,
but at the time of writing it has been temporarily replaced in naval usage by
the design shown below.
Naval Jack in current use, US (Graham Bartram)
- UNION MARK
- A symbol expressing the unification of two or more territories - such as the
British Union Jack or the former Norwegian-Swedish Union Mark - either employed
alone or as a charge on a flag (see also charge,
union and union jack above).
Norway-Sweden Union Mark 1844 1905 (fotw)
- UNION PENDANT (or PENNANT)
- See budgee pendant.
- UNION STANDARD
- In British military usage, a term for one of three such standards each carried
by the Life Guards and the Blues and Royals - the Household cavalry - and the
equivalent of a normal cavalry guidon or infantry colour (see also
'colours 2)' and
- UNIQUE FLAG
- A flag intended in design and usage, to be the only one of its type.
- UNIT COLOUR (or COLOR)
- See colour 2) and
- UNIT DESIGNATION
- The inscription on a colour that indicates the military group to which it
belongs (see also colour 2).
- UNREP (UNDERWAY REPLENISHMENT) FLAG
- See battle flag 2).
- UPRIGHT PALL
- See pall.
- UPRIGHT PILE
- See pile.
- UPRIGHT TRIANGLE
- See triangle.