Last modified: 2004-12-29 by santiago dotor
Keywords: landkreis main-spessart | main-spessart county | spessart | coat of arms (oak leaf: yellow) | coat of arms (grapes: yellow) | coat of arms (wheel: white) | coat of arms (pale: white) | coat of arms: per pale (per f |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Stefan Schwoon
Flag and coat-of-arms adopted 16 December 1974
White-red-yellow stripes, adopted 16.12.1974. The seat of the county is Karlstadt. The counties of Karlstadt, Gemünden, Lohr and Marktheidenfeld were amalgamated into the new county Main-Spessart under the 1972 municipal reform. Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Linder and Olzog 1996.
Stefan Schwoon, 16 August and 10 October 2001
From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
The arms were granted on December 16, 1974.
The arms combine the two symbols of the States of Mainz (wheel) and Würzburg (points) with the Main river (pale) and symbols of the woods and the viticulture. The area historically was on the border of Mainz and Würzburg and the Bishops of both cities tried to increase their influence in the area. Since 1814 the whole area belongs to Bavaria.
Literature: Linder and Olzog 1996.
Santiago Dotor, 29 January 2004