Last modified: 2005-04-09 by santiago dotor
Keywords: landkreis garmisch-partenkirchen | garmisch-partenkirchen county | coat of arms: tierced per pile (griffin: red) | coat of arms: tierced per pile (moor's head) | coat of arms: tierced per pile (lozengy) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Stefan Schwoon
Coat-of-arms adopted 11th September 1962, flag adopted 20th November 1972
White-red-yellow, used without grant at first. The county remained unchanged by the 1972 municipal reform, and the flag was eventually granted on 20.11.1972. Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1964-1972.
Officially adopted 20.11.1972, but in unofficial use before. Note the moor's head from the bishopric of Freising which ruled the area until 1803.
Stefan Schwoon, 10 July and 21 September 2001
From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
The arms were granted on September 11, 1962 and confirmed on November 20, 1972.
The lion with the head of a griffin is taken from the arms of the Monastery of Steingaden, and is taken from the lion of the Welfen family, who had large possessions in the area in the Middle Ages. The moor's head is taken from the arms of the bishops of Freising. The bishops aqcuired in the 13th century the county Werdenfels, which they ruled until 1803. The lower part shows the arms of Bavaria.
Literature: Stadler 1964-1971.
Santiago Dotor, 12 July 2003