Last modified: 2006-03-04 by bruce berry
Keywords: eastern cape |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Other Eastern Cape pages:
In south central South Africa, reorganized from the Southeastern part
of the former Cape Province, added those parts
of Transkei that were situated in Natal. Borders
on the Western Cape, Northern Cape,
Free State, KwaZulu-Natal (with enclave)
and Lesotho. Includes the former homelands of Ciskei
Antonio Martins, 30 May 1999
Eastern Province was a division of the Cape Colony, and only extended
as far as the Fish River (it's about half to a third of the current province).
East of the Eastern Province was the separate colony of British Kaffraria,
which was incorporated into the Cape Colony in 1866. The Kaffraria region
was then divided into Ciskei (tribal trust lands) and Border (mainly white
settlement, in the corridor stretching from East London through Queenstown
to Aliwal North).
The name Eastern Province has been continued through sporting usage - the sporting unions of the Eastern Cape Province are split between Eastern Province (centred on Port Elizabeth) and Border (centred on East London). Since 1994 'Border' has also incorporated Transkei and, often, Ciskei as well.
Mike Oettle, 08 Dec 2001
Outside Natal, only the Borough of King William's Town (Eastern Cape)
used the designations "corporation" and "borough" for its local governments.
This arose because King William's Town was established when it was the
capital of British Kaffraria, and only became part of the Cape Colony in
1866. King William's Town is now (as of January 2000) part of the Buffalo City municipality,
with East London, and all the old municipalities have now been reorganised
across the country.
Mike Oettle, 08 Dec 2001
ARMS: Argent, between flanches Gules, in base bars gemelles wavy
Azure and in chief a tree-aloe issuant Vert, with three racemes Gules;
the shield ensigned of a leopard-skin head ring proper with a demi-sun
SUPPORTERS: Two eland proper.
MOTTO: DEVELOPMENT THROUGH UNITY.
Registered with the Bureau of Heraldry on 25 March 1996.
JJ Andersson, 05 May 2002
The name given for the town on the page is Jeffreysbaai,
which is correct in Afrikaans, but in English itís Jeffreys Bay. The town
was named after an Englishman, a Mr. Jeffrey, who had a shop there about
100 years ago. His sons married Afrikaans wives and the family is today largely Afrikaans-speaking.
The town grew up around the shop.
The flag is an adaptation of the municipal arms.
Jeffreys Bay is now part of the Kouga Local Municipality.
Mike Oettle, 25 Jun 2002
Burgersdorp municipality: flag registered on 3 Apr 1987 by
the South African Bureau of Heraldry and described as:
A rectangular flag, proportion three by two, consisting of five horizontal stripes, from top to bottom yellow, black, white, red and yellow, respectively 1/3, 2/15, 1/15, 2/15 and 1/3 the height of the flag, and a green hoist third, charged with a yellow church-bell ensigned with a pair of white ram's horns conjoined.
Source: Data of the Bureau of Heraldry on registered heraldic representations.
Mark Sensen, 19 May 2002
These flags are illustrated in SAVA Journal 1/92 (April 1992) (ed) [brl92].
Other municipal Eastern Cape flags can be seen on the Nelson
Mandela Metropolitan Municipality, Port Elizabeth
and Grahamstown pages.