Buy State Flags from Allstate FlagsBuy US flags from Five Star Flags
This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Torvald Klaveness Group

Norwegian & Swedish flags

Last modified: 2006-09-23 by phil nelson
Keywords: house flag | shipping: sweden | skånska cement | cementa rederi | torvald klaveness group |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

See also:

Torvald Klaveness Group

[Torvald Klaveness Group]
image by Ivan Sache

The flag is horizontally divided blue-white-blue with a white disck charged with a blue B.
Ivan Sache, 1 December 2003

[Torvald Klaveness & Co., A/B]
image by Jarig Bakker, 20 January 2006
Source: Brown's Flags and Funnels of Shipping Companies of the World [lgr95]

Oslo - Lithuanian-style Blue-White-Blue flag; in center white disk bordered black; blue "K". (a bit different from the present Klaveness-flag)
Jarig Bakker, 20 January 2006

[Torvald Klaveness & Co., A/B]
image contributed by Neale Rosanoski, 17 August 2006

Ivan's flag should have a narrower white band in line with Jarig's. However Jarig's circle should not be outlined and it is a bit too small [Brown has got these points wrong apparently, both in the 1982 and 1995 editions]. According to the table flag on the Josef Nüsse site the circle is also positioned slightly towards the hoist though the company website image does not appear to be so, but it is small and shown wavy.
Neale Rosanoski, 17 August 2006

A privately owned company, part of the larger Torvald Klaveness Group:

The first company within the Torvald Klaveness Group was established in 1946 by the late Mr. Torvald Klaveness. It all started with technical and commercial management and competitive brokering. Since then the Group has gradually expanded and is now one of the largest dry-bulk shipping organizations in the world and consist of several individual companies.
Phil Nelson, 20 January 2006

See also: Cementa Rederi AB and Skånska Cement A/B

Cementa Rederi AB

first flag
[Cementa Rederi]
image by Jarig Bakker, 12 August 2005

Blue flag, yellow "C" towards the hoist.
Jarig Bakker, 12 August 2005

second flag
[Cementa Rederi]
image by Jarig Bakker, 12 August 2005

White flag, blue inverted "T".
Jarig Bakker, 12 August 2005

The first cement company that entered into shipping appears to be Slite Cement & Kalk in 1917 which had a horizontal triband of white-blue-white with, towards the hoist, overall and merging, a blue circle bearing a white "S". Later there appears to have been a joining of interests with Skånska Cement A/B of Malmö which was formed in 1924 to cover the shipping interests of Skånska Cementaktiebolaget. In 1969 Skånska Cement A/B became Cementa A/B which was acquired in 2003 by the Norwegian company Torvald Klaveness Group and no longer exists.

Both flags are shown though the first has the "C" placed in the flag centre. The use of the "C", rather than as "S" probably relates to the 1893 formation of Svenska Cementförsäljningsaktiebolaget Cementa to coordinate marketing.
Neale Rosanoski, 19 March 2006

Skånska Cement

Skånska Cement
[Skånska Cement]
image by Phil Nelson
Source: Colin Stewart and John B. Styring: Flags, Funnels and Hull Colours, 1963 [ste63].

Skånska Cement was named Cementa 1969-1973 and from 1973 it was called Euroc. Euroc merged with the Norweigan company Aker in 1996, and they got the name Scancem.

According to

Established in 1871, Scancem was first listed on the Stockholm Stock Exchange in 1900. In July 1999, the German Heidelberger Zement and the Belgian Cimenteries CBR S.A. acquired 73.4 percent of the share capital and 90.8 percent of the voting rights. In late August, the two companies launched a tender offer to acquire the remaining outstanding shares of Scancem.

Immediately before this purchase in 1999, the major owners where Skanska and Aker RGI. (Skanska, formerly known as Skånska Cementgjuteriet, was originally a daughter company of Skånska Cement, but was made independent in 1887.)

Scancem is situated in Malmo. It doesn't seem as they have any ships of their own at present.
Elias Granqvist, 22 September 2000

Prior flag
[Skånska Cement ]
image by Jarig Bakker

Lloyds was still showing the company operating as Cementa A/B in 2000. According to Lloyds the company was formed in 1924 as Skånska Cement A/B but this appears to relate to the shipping division which they have changing name to Cementa A/B in 1947 but as they were still showing the ships under the original name until about 1970 it seems this date is incorrect. Thereafter they make no mention of any of the other changes and possibly it was a case of the shipping division continuing to operate unchanged. The other company noted as their subsidiary, Skånska Cementgjuteriet, was shown separately from c.1970 to c.1996 changing name towards the end 1st to Skånska Cement A/B and then to Skånska Dredging A/B. According to the flag cap badge shown in Collectors Corner the "C" was placed towards the hoist with Stewart and US Navy showing it centered. Collectors Corner badges show a change to a white flag bearing a blue design which is supported by Brown 1982 although the latter shows the same thickness throughout for the emblem.
Neale Rosanoski, 5 August 2003

See also: Cementa Rederi AB, Skånska Cement A/B, and Torvald Klaveness Group