Last modified: 2006-01-07 by bruce berry
Keywords: swaziland | protectorate |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Martin Grieve, 15 Nov 2005
The High Commissioner flew a British Union Flag charged in the centre, on a white roundel, with the letters S.A.H.C. in black above which was a Tudor Crown, all within a green garland of laurel. This flag which was taken into use in 1907, is similar in design to that of the Western Pacific High Commissioner.
This flag was used until 1931 after which the posts of Governor-General and High Commissioner were separated. The Governor-General of South Africa would henceforth fly a royal blue flag bearing the Royal Crest with two scrolls inscribed "Union of South Africa" and "Unie van Suid-Afrika" respectively. The High Commissioner, based in South Africa, was represented by a Resident Commissioner in each of the High Commission Territorities (Basutoland, Bechuanaland and Swaziland). Of these, only the Resident Commissioner for Basutoland, which was a Crown Colony, had a personal flag. The other two territories were British Protectorates and thus their inhabitants were merely "protected persons".
The flag of the High Commissoner for Basutoland, the Bechuanaland Protectorate and Swaziland was a similar design to that used previously by the South African High Commissioner, being a British Union Flag charged in the centre, on a white roundel, with the letters H.C. in black, above which was an Imperial Crown, all within a green garland of laurel.
Swaziland was the last of the High Commission territories to gain independence,
after which the flag of the High Commissioner fell into abeyance.
Bruce Berry, 13 Feb 1998