Last modified: 2005-12-03 by jarig bakker
Keywords: tarnowskie gory |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Adam Kromer was kind enough to send me info on the new flag and arms of the city of Tarnowskie Gory with the suggestion to forward it to you. This is the URL provided by Adam.
The City Council of Tarnowskie Gory (TG) restored the historical arms
of the city during its session on 7 Aug 2002.
Also, the new flag of the city was approved together with the official banners, standard and seals of the municipal authorities.
"City Concil, in session on 7 Aug 2002, unanimously restored to the City of TG its historical arms. This event took place on the 440th Anniversary of granting the CoA to TG by Prince Georg Friedrich von Ansbach. The City Council's decision returns to the citizenry of TG memories of its history and, through this CoA, acknowledges the rich and diversified past of the city, its multicultural character and its European roots.
FOUNDER OF THE ARMS:
Georg Friedrich von Ansbach (1539-1603), the only son of Prince Georg von Ansbach, co-founder of Tarnowskie Gory, Margraf of Brandenburg, Prince of Karnow, Regent of the Principality of Prussia, Lord of Tarnowskie Gory and Bytom. During his long reign (1543-1603) he bestowed many privileges to the folk of Tarnowskie Gory. One of those privileges was the grant of the CoA on 25 July 1562. In 1599, he granted the General Privelege confirming all of old and granting new laws to the"Free Mining Town" of Tarnowskie Gory.
Period of his rule was the time of unparralled greatness and prosperity for Tarnowskie Gory.
440th ANNIVERSARY OF THE GRANTING OF THE CoA:
On 25 July 2002, 440 years passed from the granting of the CoA by Georg Friedrich von Ansbach, Prince of Karnow. in the Arms, beside the gold wing originating from the arms of John II the Good, Prince of Opole and Upper-Silesian Piast, and the hammers, symbolizing the early profession of the inhabitants, we are finding the half of the black eagle representing the arms of hohenzollern, the clan of Georg Friedrich von Ansbach. The previous arms of the city, in use from early 1950's during the formation of the state system of the so-called "Polish People's Republic", were, for the ideological reasons, inspired by the "fight
against foreign influences in Silesia" and based on the image from the seal of the Mining Office of the 1529-1562 period as a symbol of the "working class".
The fact of combining the symbols of the two of Europe's great dynasties - Piast and Hohenzollern - is a sign of the return to historical reality in post-communist Poland. It is also the end of summary demonization of the Hohenzollerns, some of them being outstanding individuals - Georg Friedrich von Ansbach providing the best proof of it. And finally, acknowledging the fact that many European nationalities contributed to the history of Poland in the positive sense of it, what was denied or hidden by the Communist regime. Restoration of the historical arms of Tarnowskie Gory may also be a symbol of Poland's aspirations to re-join Europe"
Chrystian Kretowicz, 14 Oct 2002
Note the fineal having the same form as the top of the full arms.
Chrystian Kretowicz, 14 Oct 2002
Tarnowskie Gory is in Tarnowskie Gory county; flag adopted: 1969. German:
Tarnowitz. It is 25 km NNW of Katowice with (1981) 68.430 inhabitants.
It's a mining commune.
Gunnar Staack, 25 Oct 2000
Image based on book [fio98] - Miasteczko Slaskie city and commune, Tarnowsky
Gory County, located in the vojevodship of Slaskie
Jens Pattke, 17 Jun 2004