Last modified: 2002-07-13 by jarig bakker
Keywords: bartoszyce | battle axe |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Bartoszyce. Old Polish ‘Barta’ and Old German ‘Barte’ mean an axe with
wide blade. Town’s flag is modelled after the flag which was conquered
in the battle of Grunwald. The town’s history dates 1326 when location
privilege was granted. In those days it was called Rosenthal- the Valley
of Roses. The name didn’t survive. In 1332 it was replaced by Bartenstein.
Bartoszyce is now a county town, situated in north-east Poland, in Warmia and Mazury voivodeship, upon the Lyna River. It lies 16 km away from the border crossing in Bezledy. Going through it is the best way to reach Kaliningrad Province. Number of inhabitants: 28.000.
Source: info from this website
Jarig Bakker, 2 Sept 2000
The narrow white stripe at the top isn't explained anywhere, is it?
It's really a weird flag!...
Jorge Candeias, 31 May 2001