Last modified: 2006-01-07 by bruce berry
Keywords: lesotho | basutoland |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Martin Grieve, 15 Nov 2005
Prior to independence on 4 October 1966,
The Crown Colony of Basutoland was administered through the Office of the High Commissioner in
The High Commissioner flew a British Union Flag charged in the centre, on a
white roundel, with the letters S.A.H.C. in black above which was a Tudor
Crown, all within a green garland of laurel. This flag which was taken into use
in 1907, is similar in design to that of the Western Pacific High Commissioner.
This flag was used until 1931 after which the posts of Governor-General and High Commissioner were separated. The Governor-General of South Africa would henceforth fly a royal blue flag bearing the Royal Crest with two scrolls inscribed "Union of South Africa" and "Unie van Suid-Afrika" respectively. The High Commissioner, based in
Bruce Berry, 19 Feb 1998
image by Jaume Ollé, 08 Jun 1997
The flag of the High Commissioner for Basutoland, the Bechuanaland Protectorate and Swaziland was a similar design to that used previously by the South African High Commissioner, being a British Union Flag charged in the centre, on a white roundel, with the letters H.C. in black, above which was an Imperial Crown, all within a green garland of laurel.
The flag of the Resident Commissioner in Basutoland was the British Union
Flag charged in the centre, on a white roundel, with the shield of the arms
granted to the Colony of Basutoland by Royal Warrant on 20 March 1951, namely:
"Vert, a crocodile proper and in chief a fleece between two garbs Or"
within a green garland of laurel.
Bruce Berry, 19 Feb 1998
This is the flag in use after 20 March 1951 when the arms were granted.
Image according to Flag of All Nations (1955) [hms89a].
Perhaps the shield in a white circle was used unofficially in the blue ensign because the image is shown in some plates according to "Banderas".
Jaume Ollé, 8 June 1997
Flag, British Resident Commissioner Basutoland at EBay.
The flag of the British Resident Commissioner in Basutoland was the Union Flag with the shield of the arms granted to the Colony by Royal Warrant on 20 March 1951, namely: "Vert, a crocodile proper and in chief a fleece between two garbs Or" within a garland. This flag became obsolete in 1966 when the territory became the
Bill Garrison, 18 Jun 2002
image from this website, located by Jarig Bakker, 18 Jun 2002