Last modified: 2003-06-21 by dov gutterman
Keywords: hungary | veszprem | borzavar |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Istvan Molnar, 20 May 2003
Borzavár is a village in Veszrpém county in Hungary near to
Town of Zirc
(5 km west) in the Bakony Mountains. The village has got 785
inhabitants (2001 census), nearly all of them are Hungarian.
Neighbouring settlements are Csesznek
and Porva villages, and Zirc
The territory of the settlement is inhabited from the stone age. The village has been found by Daniel Esterházy in 1761. The village was settled by Slovaks, Hungarians and Germans. In 1910 Borzavár was a village in the Zirc district of Veszprém County. Number of its inhabitants in 1910: 1120; 1118 (99,8%) Hungarian and 2 (0,2%) other by mother tongue, 1097 (97,9%) Roman Catholic, 12 (1,1%) Calvinist, 6 (0,5%) Jew and 5 (0,5%) Lutheran by religion.
The CoA was adopted by the Res. No. 1/1997.(VI.20) resolution of the community, the flag was adopted by the Res. No. 2/1998.(IV.17.) resolution of the community.
Symbolism of the CoA: The pointed shield is divided with purple wavy stripe. In the gold shield-head there are two green hills relate to the Koris-hegy (Ash Hill) and the Kék-hegy (Blue Hill). In the silver field there is a green hill relates to Kis-Borzavári-hegy (Little Borzavár Hill) and on the hill there is a green elderberry with five laves relates to the original name of the village: Bodza means elderberry.
Sources: Resolution from the Mayor's Office, CoA from the book: A Bakony. Turistakaluz és útkönyv 1: 40 000; Cartographia Kft., Budapest 2002.
Istvan Molnar, 20 May 2003