Last modified: 2003-06-14 by dov gutterman
Keywords: hungary | gyor-moson-sopron | romand |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Istvan Molnar, 21 May 2003
Románd is a village in Gyor-Moson-Sopron county in Hungary
near to Town of Pápa (33 km east) in
the Little Hungarian Plains. The village has got 322 inhabitants
(2001 census), nearly all of them are Hungarian. Neighbouring
settlements are Bakonypéterd, Gic,
Bakonygyirót, Veszprémvarsány and Lázi
The first mention of the settlement is from 1234. At the time of the Turkish wars (1526-1699) the settlement was devastated. The village was resettled with Germans from Styria and Moson and Vas counties in the XVIII. century. In 1910 Románd was a village in the Zirc district of Veszprém County. Number of its inhabitants in 1910: 566; 350 (61,8%) Hungarian, 196 (34,6%) German and 20 (3,5%) other by mother tongue, 547 (96,6%) Roman Catholic and 16 (2,8%) Calvinist and 3 (0,5%) Lutheran by religion. By the 1941 census 57,1% of its inhabitants was German. After the WWII Germans was deported to Germany. The settlement was joined to Gyor-Moson-Sopron county in 2002.
The CoA and the flag was adopted by the Res. No. 5/2002 (VIII. 1.) of the community.
About the CoA: In the divided silver/green shield there is a divided green/silver panther with a red double cross. The panther (in the original seal from the 1700s) relates to the settlers from Styria, the green colour relates to the field and the agriculture, the cross relates to Hungary, the Hungarian traditions of the settlers and the Roman Catholic religion.
Sources: Resolution and CoA from the Mayor's Office.
Istvan Molnar, 21 May 2003