Last modified: 2006-07-22 by ivan sache
Keywords: vaucluse | provence-alpes-cote-d'azur | general council | letter: v (white) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of the General Council of Vaucluse - Image by Ivan Sache, 1 December 2004
Traditional provinces: Comtat Venaissin, Provence
Bordering departments: Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Hautes-Alpes, Ardèche, Bouches-du-Rhône, Drôme, Gard
Area: 3,567 km2 (including the canton of
Valréas, enclaved in the department of
Population (1995): 489,600 inhabitants
Sous-préfectures: Apt, Carpentras
Subdivisions: 2 arrondissements, 24 cantons, 151 communes.
The department is named after mounts and fontaine of Vaucluse, the source of the river Sorgue, a resurgence springing in a narrow closed valley (Vallis Clausa), which inspired the Italian poet Petrarch.
The department of Vaucluse was created as the (then) 87th French department by Decree of 25 June 1793. It incorporates the following former entities:
In 1800, the canton of Suze was incorporated to the department of Drôme, recreating the enclave of Valréas. The four villages of Valréas, Grillon, Richerenches and Visan constitute what is known as the Papal Enclave, which forms an exclave of Vaucluse enclaved in Drôme.
Ivan Sache, 7 December 2002
The logotype of the General Council of Vaucluse is made of a blue
square charged with a "fuzzy" white V. A dark yellow vertical stripe
is placed along the left side of the square, from which it is
separated by a white fimbriation. Conseil général de
Vaucluse is written in blue beneath the square.
The flag of the General Council of Vaucluse is made of the logotype described above placed on a white field.
Ivan Sache, 1 December 2004