Last modified: 2006-06-24 by santiago dotor
Keywords: germany | saar | saar territory | saargebiet | sarre | historical |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Mark Sensen
Flag adopted 28th July 1920, abolished 1st March 1935
The present German federal state of Saarland did not exist before World War One. The area had been part of Bavaria and Prussia. The Saargebiet was firstly created by the Treaty of Versailles from 28th June 1919, in force 20th January 1920. It stayed formally a German territory, but under the auspices of the League of Nations and administered by France.
On 28th July 1920 the Governmental Commission gave ordinance for a quartered coat-of-arms, showing emblems of Saar cities. A flag was also created: three equal stripes, horizontally divided blue, white and black. The colours were derived from the Arms' colours, but they could also be interpreted as a combination of the Prussian black and white and the Bavarian white and blue flag.
Both the Arms and the flag were in use until 1st March 1935, when the Saar was reintegrated into the German Reich. Since the German Empire at that time was governed by the Nazis, who centralized power in Berlin, no new arms or flags for the Saar were created.
Dieter Linder, 18 January 1998
This flag was only used by the authorities of the territory. It was never popular. The people used the German black-white-red and more and more the Swastika flag by about 1935.
Pascal Vagnat, 22 April 1998
Blue, white, black horizontally. Adopted 28th July 1920.
Jaume Ollé, 24 August 1998