Last modified: 2002-01-12 by santiago dotor
Keywords: rhineland-palatinate | rheinland-pfalz | zweibrücken | zweibruecken | stadt zweibrücken | coat of arms (lion: rampant) | coat of arms (lion: red) | coat of arms (label: blue) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Stefan Schwoon
Coat-of-arms adopted 1846
Divided blue, yellow, and red with the arms. Source: flag from Staack 1997, arms from Stadler 1964-1971. There is also a banner [hanging flag] version.
Stefan Schwoon, 2 March 2001
From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
Zweibrücken was already an important town in the 13th century, but it did not receive city rights until 1352. The oldest seal dates from about the same time. The arms show the lion as in the present arms. It is the lion of the counts of Zweibrücken, a younger line of the counts of Saarbrücken. In 1385 they sold the city and surrounding area to the Wittelsbach family, but the arms did not change. The present arms were officially granted in 1846. The arms of the counts of Zweibrücken also forms part of the arms of the county Homburg [in the Saar].
Literature: Stadler 1964-1971.
Santiago Dotor, 8 January 2002