Last modified: 2002-02-16 by santiago dotor
Keywords: north rhine-westphalia | nordrhein-westfalen | mönchengladbach | moenchengladbach | stadt mönchengladbach | coat of arms: parted per pale (crozier: white) | coat of arms: parted per pale (cross: black) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
3:5 | stripes 1+4+1
by Stefan Schwoon
Flag and coat-of-arms adopted 2nd February 1977
[Quoting a German source]:
Mönchengladbach seit dem 7.2.77 r-y-r (1:4:1) im gelben felde das zur strange hin verschobene Wappen: "Unter rotem schildhaupt, darin ein silberner Wechselzinnenbalken, gespalten von Blau und Gold vorne eine silberne Abtskrumme hinten ein durchgehendes schwarzes Kreuz".
Jaume Ollé, 11 September 1999
Mönchengladbach since 2nd February 1977 red-yellow-red (1:4:1): in the yellow field, displaced toward the hoist, the coat of arms: "Under a red chief, on which is a silver counterembattled fess, the field is parted blue and gold, and shows a silver abbot's crook behind a black cross throughout."I take it that the fess is embattled top and bottom, and that the field below the chief is divided vertically. The abbot's crosier must be displayed per bend, that is diagonally, or it would be invisible behind the cross throughout.
John S. Ayer, 11 September 1999
According to Stadler 1964-1971 the flag is yellow-blue. However the city's arms changed after the book was published [see Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website] so the flag changed too.
Stefan Schwoon, 25 February 2001
From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
Mönchengladbach got city rights in 1364 from Duke William V of Jülich. In the early 16th century the image of St. Veit, the patron saint of the local Benedictine abbey is added. The abbey also gave the town part of its name. (...)
After the merger in 1974 [with Rheydt and Wickrath] the arms were changed. The upper part of the new arms is taken from Wickrath [arms of the Lords (later Counts) of Quadt-Wickrath, who ruled in the 17th century], the saint is replaced by the crosier, to represent the abbey in Mönchengladbach and the cross is taken from the arms of Rheydt [the arms of the Lords of Bylandt-Rheydt, who owned the village since 1500].
Literature: Stadler 1964-1971 and Nagel 1986.
Santiago Dotor, 14 February 2002