Last modified: 2004-12-29 by santiago dotor
Keywords: north rhine-westphalia | kreis mettmann | mettmann county | stripes: 5 (red-white) | coat of arms (lion: rampant) | coat of arms: bordure (black) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
1:2 | stripes 1+2+1+2+1
by Stefan Schwoon
Flag adopted 20th September 1986, coat-of-arms adopted 28th November 1936
[Flag horizontally] divided red-white-red-white-red 1:2:1:2:1, arms shifted to the hoist. Proportions 1:2. Source: Erich Dieter Linder, Die Flaggen deutscher Landkreise (Flags of German counties), in Der Flaggenkurier no. 2, 1996, pp. 4-10. Original source of the arms is Stadler 1964-1971. Adopted 20.09.1986, according to Dirk Schönberger's Administrative Divisions of the World website.
Stefan Schwoon, 6 February 2001
From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
The arms were granted on November 28, 1936. The lion in the center of the arms is derived from the arms of the counts of Berg, who had large possessions in the area, and whose capital was Düsseldorf. The lion is also a part of many arms in the area, like in Erkrath, Monheim, Ratingen and more. The lock and the wheat ear symbolise the old tradition of lock-making and the agriculture.
Literature: Stadler 1964-1971.
Santiago Dotor, 26 October 2001