Last modified: 2005-11-05 by santiago dotor
Keywords: north rhine-westphalia | nordrhein-westfalen | hagen | stadt hagen | coat of arms (tree: yellow) | coat of arms (tree: oak) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Stefan Schwoon
Coat-of-arms adopted 1897
Hagen, 210,000 inhabitants, is located in the Ruhr area, south of Dortmund and east of Wuppertal.
Ivan Sache, 19 June 2002
Blue-yellow with the arms. The arms are canting, Hag (or Wald) meaning forest. Sources: flag from Staack 1997 [saa97], arms from Stadler 1964-1971 [staXX].
Stefan Schwoon, 24 February 2001
From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
Hagen received city rights in 1746 from King Friedrich II of Prussia. At the same time the first seal is known, which shows a canting Hag (Hag or Wald means forest). It was, however, also interpreted as a (natural) lily. In the 19th century the city thus sometimes used arms with two lilies. In 1897 the present arms were granted, based on the oldest seal. Originally a mural crown was added to the arms, but this is no longer used.
Literature: Stadler 1964-1971 [staXX].
Santiago Dotor, 20 December 2001