Last modified: 2001-12-21 by santiago dotor
Keywords: north rhine-westphalia | nordrhein-westfalen | bielefeld | stadt bielefeld | coat of arms (city gate: red) | coat of arms (bridge: red) | coat of arms: inescutcheon (chevronny) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Stefan Schwoon
Vertically red-white with the arms. Sources: Staack 1997 and Stadler 1964-1971.
Stefan Schwoon, 22 February 2001
From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
Bielefeld probably got city rights in the early 13th century. The oldest seals of the city date from 1231 and 1263. These already showed a gate, which has been also used as the arms ever since. The actual picture of the gate has changed often during the centuries. Sometimes the patron saint St. George is shown above the gate, sometimes the small shield is shown, sometimes not. The small shield is derived from the arms of the Counts of Ravensberg, who owned the town until 1346.
Literature: Stadler 1964-1971.
Santiago Dotor, 18 December 2001