Last modified: 2005-11-05 by santiago dotor
Keywords: mecklenburg-west pomerania | wismar | stadt wismar | hansestadt wismar |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Stefan Schwoon
The "City and Lordship of Wismar" (Stadt und Herrschaft Wismar) was a member of the Hanseatic League. It was occupied by Swedish troops in 1631 during the Thirty Years' War and was ceded to Sweden by the Treaty of Osnabrück 1648. Sweden transformed Wismar into the most fortified city in Europe. The Northern Alliance took the city on 20th April 1716, and by the Treaty of Frederiksborg (July 1720), Sweden pledged never again to fortify the city. In 1803 the Duke of Mecklenburg leased Wismar from Sweden for 100 years in exchange for 1,250,000 Taler. More historical information (German text only) at the Wismarer website and this personal website.
Santiago Dotor, 28 September 2000
Wismar, ca. 60,000 inhabitants, is a port located on the Baltic Sea. Industrial center. Gothic church of St. Nicolas, brickwork, 14th-15th centuries. On 3 May 1945, the British and Soviet forces joined in Wismar. Source: Petit Larousse Illustré.
Ivan Sache, 18-19 June 2002
The current flag consists of six stripes alternatingly white and red. Sources: Staack 1997 [saa97] and Günther 1999 [gue99a].
Stefan Schwoon, 13 February 2001