Last modified: 2004-12-29 by santiago dotor
Keywords: landkreis landshut | landshut county | lozenges (blue) | bordure: lozenges | coat of arms: chief (lozengy: white-blue) | coat of arms (fess: red) | coat of arms (fess: embattled in base) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Stefan Schwoon
Coat-of-arms adopted 25th August 1960, confirmed 23rd May 1973
According to Linder and Schmidt 2000 Landshut uses an unofficial flag which cannot become official since it does not conform to the guidelines of the state archives: a hanging white flag with a row of blue lozenges at the top and bottom and the coat-of-arms in the centre. The flag is drawn according to the proportions of a sketch which Erich Dieter Linder got from the county offices. Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1964-1972.
Stefan Schwoon, 27 September 2001
From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
The arms were granted on August 25, 1960 and confirmed on May 23, 1973.
The upper part shows the arms of Bavaria. These are identical to the arms of the Wittelsbach family, who took the arms from the Counts of Bogen in 1242. Here the diamonds indicate three historical items: Ludmilla von Bogen founded a monastery in Seligenthal in the district. Secondly, the city of Landshut was founded by the Wittelsbach family and a branch of the family named themselves after Landshut. Finally the lozenges indicate the fact that the district is still part of Bavaria.
The lower part of the arms shows the arms of the Counts of Preysing, who were one of the most important noble families in the district.
Literature: Stadler 1964-1972.
Santiago Dotor, 10 December 2003