Last modified: 2004-12-29 by santiago dotor
Keywords: landkreis hof | hof county | coat of arms: per pale (lion: yellow) | coat of arms: per pale (lion: black) | coat of arms: per pale (bordure: red-white) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Stefan Schwoon
Flag and coat-of-arms adopted 23 May 1997
White-black stripes, adopted 23.05.1997, the latest official county flag adoption in Bavaria so far. Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1964-1972.
Stefan Schwoon, 2 October 2001
From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
The arms show the lions of the lords of Weida and the counts of Nuremberg.
The lords of Weida established a centre of influence around the town of Hof, after the counts of Andechs-Meranien became extinct in 1248. In 1294 they became vassals of the Wittelsbach dynasty, rulers over Bavaria.
In the early 14th century they were succeeded by the baronets of Nuremberg, who bought out Heinrich von Weida in 1373. The whole area became later part of the County of Bayreuth.
Literature: Stadler 1964-1972.
Santiago Dotor, 14 January 2004