Last modified: 2004-12-29 by santiago dotor
Keywords: landkreis dachau | dachau county | coat of arms (fess: dancetty) | coat of arms (fess: red) | coat of arms: chief (lozengy: white-blue) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Stefan Schwoon
Coat-of-arms adopted 10th July 1954, flag adopted 15th July 1976
White-red-white stripes, adopted 15.07.1976. The coat-of-arms is the same as that of the pre-reform county of the same name. Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1964-1972.
Stefan Schwoon, 20 September 2001
From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
The arms were granted on July 10, 1954 and confirmed on July 15, 1976.
The arms indicate the strong ties of the district with the Wittelsbach dynasty, Dukes and Kings of Bavaria. The lower part shows the oldest known arms of the family, as used until 1229. Since 1125 a branch of the dynasty named itself Counts of Dachau, and became a very influential family. The main branch of the dynasty used since the 13th century the lozenges, shown in the chief. The chief also indicates that Dachau was one of the territories of the Duchy and Kingdom of Bavaria.
Literature: Stadler 1964-1972.
Santiago Dotor, 5 November 2003