Last modified: 2004-12-29 by santiago dotor
Keywords: landkreis cham | cham county | coat of arms: chief (lozengy) | coat of arms: chief (bavaria) | coat of arms (church: white) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Stefan Schwoon
Coat-of-arms adopted 17th August 1962, flag adopted 4th November 1970, confirmed 9th December 1975
Red-white-blue, adopted 04.11.1970. The county absorbed the counties Kötzting, Waldmünchen and Roding in 1973, but its arms and flag remained the same and were reconfirmed on 09.12.1975. Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1964-1972.
Stefan Schwoon, 1 August 2001
From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
The arms were granted on August 17, 1962.
The upper part of the arms shows the arms of the Wittelsbach family (see the arms of Bavaria), who ruled the area since 1205. Before 1205 the territory was owned by the Markgraves of Cham-Vohburg.
The lower part shows the church in Chammünster, one of the main historical buildings in the county. It represents the coming Christianity in the early Middle Ages. The church in the arms is shown in the architecture of the later part of the 13th century. The colours of the lower part are taken from the (victual) arms of the Markgraves of Cham.
Literature: Stadler 1964-1971.
Santiago Dotor, 3 July 2003