Last modified: 2002-08-30 by jarig bakker
Keywords: vetrni |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipal emblem is based on the coat-of-arms of the Višně family
and the Rosenberg rose. Description: There are three crimson semi-bands
on a white (silver) field. A Gothic shield bears a stylized red Rosenberg
rose with a golden center.
The first mention of the town is from 1347. The current municipality of Větřní includes several other former settlements and minor municipalities - Dobrné, Hašlovice, Lužná, Nahořany, Němče, Zátoň and Zátoňské Dvory.
These villages, Větřní included, belonged in the past to different administrative entities. Dobrné, Hašlovice, Lužná and Zátoň would have been, along with Bohdalovice, the southern outpost of the estates owned by the Monastery of St. Bernard in Ostrov (near Prague by Davle, at the confluence of the rivers Vltava and Sázava). Their names were mentioned for the first time in a deed issued by Pope Clement V in 1310 acknowledging the real estate possessions and privileges of the monastery in Ostrov. The second oldest source associated with the villages is contained in 1390 Register of Land and Duties held by the monastery itself.
The first written document of Zátoň dates back perhaps even earlier in history. Prince Břetislav, who ruled in Bohemia between 1037 and 1066, is believed to have donated some land to the monastery, including "the wooded area called Zátoň, with the Chapel of St. John the Baptist and all its appurtenances".
In 1410 Nahořany and Zátoňské Dvory belonged to the Premonstratensian Monastery of Strahov. The first written records of the two villages are somewhat older, Nahořany being first mentioned in 1379 and Zátoňské Dvory in 1379. Němče would have probably been an independent gentleman's country residence, first mentioned in writing in 1293.
The oldest evidence of the existence of Větřní dates back to 1347 and is linked with the Višně family, which also played an important role in the entire early history of the region. On September 7, 1347 Petr of Rosenberg presented his chamberlain, Višně, with the hereditary tenancy of the estate in Větřní. Although at that time the Višněs did not own the estate, they started to call themselves the Višněs of Větřní. They became its hereditary landlords only on January 10, 1368, as confirmed by a deed of covenant issued by four Rosenberg brothers, which also included the Pečka Mill. Petr Višně is known to have been the first bearer of the family coat-of-arms as preserved on his seal. It had three semibands on the upper part of the escutcheon, three semi-bands on its lower part, and barrel as a jewel over the helmet. In the second half of the 14th century and almost throughout the entire 15th century members of the Višně family held the highest posts with the Rosenbergs. In the 16th century their economic standing and power position worsened. Jan Višně of Větřní, the last known member of the family, sold Větřní, Metlín, Kaliště and Němče to the town of Český Krumlov in 1603 and after the Bílá Hora battle went abroad where his traces disappeared.
In mid-18th century Větřní and Němče were part of the Český Krumlov estate.
A principal change in the life of Větřní and neighboring villages took place when a sanding shop was founded in the Pečka Mill, representing the beginnings of what would become a major paper and pulp mill.
The origins of the paper mill in Větřní date back to 1867 when its founder, Hynek Spiro, bought the Pečka Mill which until then had served its original purpose.
The establishment of the paper mill substantially affected the population growth in the municipality. Between 1880 and 1910 the population increased from 231 to 1005 and in 1930 the municipality had 1697 residents.
After World War One the country's economic situation stabilized and the Spiro paper mill developed into a large company employing more than a thousand people.
Later, mainly due to the new housing developments with multi-storey apartment buildings, the municipality acquired a partly urban look. The current population of Větřní is around 3800 people. Today, as in the preceding more than a hundred years, the economic life of the municipality is dominated by the local paper works, now a joint-stock company.
Information from the Větřní homepage.
Jarig Bakker, 28 Aug 2002