This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
Frymburk (Czech Republic)
Cesky Krumlov okres, South Bohemian Region
Last modified: 2004-01-09 by jarig bakker
Keywords: frymburk |
Links: FOTW homepage |
disclaimer and copyright |
write us |
This page is best viewed with ISO:8859-2, aka
Latin2, aka Central European fonts
by Jarig Bakker, 1 Jan 2004
adopted 4 Jun 1998
Frymburk municipality flag
Frymburk is a municipality in Česky Krumlov district, in the South Bohemian
Region of Czechia. The flag is depicted in Petr Exner's Vexilologický
Lexikon prapory obcí ČR (1998); Flag adopted 4 Jun 1998. The CoA is
on this website;
description: On a silver shield is a red five-petaled rose with a gold
center and green calixtine leaves. (on the site the "calixtine" leaves
are black, and compared to the flag the rose is upside-down.
The seal evidently developed from the stamp of the regional nobility,
the lords of Rosenberg.
The flag has three horizontal equally wide stripes blue - white - blue,
with in the center a red rose with yellow heart and five green leaves.
The first written mention about Frymburk is from 1277. Originally belonged
to Lords of Krumlov and after 1302 to Rosenbergs. It is town from 1379.
The town was originally a market village from the late 13th century on
the trade route from upper Austria to Bohemia. The Rosenbergs established
a toll-road at the bridge across the Vltava River which was already mentioned
in 1305. Declared a town in 1379. In 1492 Peter Wok von Rosenberg granted
the town certain rights which freed the citizentry from serfdom. Right
to brew beer granted by Wilhelm von Rosenberg. Emperor Franz II confirmed
Frymburk's privilege which had been granted by Emperor Josef II on 28 April
1789, allowing the town a weekly Tuesday market as well as a Christmas
market (Jarmark) on St. Ann's day. Part of the town was flooded
during the construction of Lake Lipno.
Jarig Bakker, 1 Jan 2004