Buy State Flags from Allstate FlagsBuy US flags from Five Star Flags
This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Manhay (Municipality, Province of Luxembourg, Belgium)

Last modified: 2005-12-03 by ivan sache
Keywords: manhay |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag of Manhay]

Flag of Manhay - Image by Ivan Sache, 27 December 2002

See also:

Presentation of Manhay

The municipality of Manhay (2,888 inhabitants on 1 January 2000; 11,900 ha) is located in the north of the Province of Luxembourg, in the Upper Ardenne.
The municipality was founded in 1976 by the merging of the former municipalities of Dochamps, Grandmenil, Harre, Malempré, Odeigne, Vaux-Chavanne and Bra (pro parte), and was named after the crossroad of Manhay, located in the middle of the new municipal territory.
Forest covers 60% of the municipal territory. A 9-ha recreational forest park named Chlorophylle was recently opened. There is a cross-country ski resort in Odeigne (45 kms of tracks). The factory Mélotte, which produced creamers between 1852 and 1970, has been transformed into a Creamer Museum.

In the XVIIIth century, the area was divided between the Duchy of Luxembourg (most villages) and the Principality of Stavelot-Malmédy (Odeigne). Under the French regime, the villages were placed in the department of Sambre-et-Meuse (which later constituted the Province of Luxembourg) except Harre, which was placed in the department of Ourthe (which later constituted the Province of Liège). After the independence of Belgium (1830), the borders of the Provinces were stabilized only in 1839.

During the battle of the Ardennes around Christmas 1944, the villages constituting Manhay were severely damaged.

Source: Municipal website

Ivan Sache, 27 December 2002

Municipal flag of Manhay

The flag of Manhay is horizontally divided white-blue-white-red-white-blue-white.

The flag and arms of Manhay were approved by the Executive of the French Community on 28 March 1996.

The flag is derived from the municipal arms:

D'argent à une tête et col de cerf de sable accostée et soutenue de trois losanges d'azur, au chef de gueules à trois feuilles de chêne d'or en pal et rangée.

The arms had to be created de novo when Manhay was formed since none of the former municipalities had arms.

The main charges of the arms are taken from the arms of Louis de Stolberg (1505-1574), lord of Dochamps:

Or, a deer passant sable.

The colour of the field and the additional charges are taken from the arms of the family of Leuze-Neufforge, from Harre and Vaux-Chavanne:

Argent, three lozenges azur.

In order to stress the belonging of the municipality to the Province of Luxembourg, a red chief was added, and the main local production, wood, was highlighted by placing oak leaves on the chief.

Source: Municipal website

Ivan Sache, 27 December 2002