Last modified: 2005-11-12 by ivan sache
Keywords: attert | wave (blue) | clovers: 5 |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Municipal flag of Attert - Image by Arnaud Leroy, 22 May 2005
The municipality of Attert (3,560 inhabitants, 7,095 ha) is located
close to the border with Luxembourg, 10 km north-north-west of Arlon.
It is made since 1976 of the former municipalities of Attert, Nobressart, Nothomb, Thiaumont and Tontelange, thus unifying the villages of the valley of Attert for the first time in their history.
Before the French Revolution, Attert depended on the provostship of
Arlon. In the eastern part of the valley, the villages of Attert,
Grendel, Nothomb and Tontelange were grouped into the mairie of
Atterts, whereas the western villages depended on the lordship of Raggi
- Pont d'Oye.
After the Revolution, the French rules set up the municipalities of Thiaumont, Nobressart, Post (including the villages of Schadeck and Shockville), Attert (including Grendel, Nothomb and Tontelange), Perlé (including Parette) and Heinsch (including Metzert). In 1823, the Dutch administration incorporated Post to Attert. After the independence of Belgium, Parette and Perlé were separated in 1839: Perlé was allocated to Luxembourg whereas Parette was allocated to Belgium, without any administration; for four years, the former Councillor Asselborn managed Perlé, eventually incorporated to Attert in 1843.
In 1859, Tontelange asked to become an independent municipality, which was done on 7 April 1865, with the incorporation of Metzert, taken from Heinsch. The same day, Nothomb and Parette were merged into an independent municipality.
The valley of Attert has a geographical unity but also a linguistic one, since the most common language there is the Moselan-Frankish, the same language being spoken in the Great Duchy of Luxembourg. The traditional French and German bilinguism decreased after the Second World War and the forced incorporation of the country of Arlon to the Third Reich, but it was progressively revived, following the example of neighbouring Luxembourg.
Source: Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 22 May 2005
The municipal flag of Attert is white with a light blue wavy stripe in the middle, three clover leafs above the wave and another two below the stripe. According to Armoiries communales en Belgique. Communes wallonnes, bruxelloises et germanophones, it was adopted by the Municipal Council on 29 April 1994 and confirmed by the Executive of the French Community on 6 October 1994, with the following official description:
Blanc chargé d'une laize transversale ondée bleue, accompagnée de cinq trèfles verts, trois au-dessus et deux en dessous.
The flag is a banner of the municipal arms, which symbolize the valley of Attert and the five former municipalities constituting Attert.
Arnaud Leroy, Pascal Vagnat & Ivan Sache, 22 May 2005