Last modified: 2002-10-12 by ivan sache
Keywords: sint-laureins | watervlitt | waves: 2 (blue) | waves: 3 (white) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Filip van Laenen
Sint-Laureins (7,000 inhabitants) is located in the arrondissement
of Eeklo. According to the Gids voor Vlaanderen (1995),
the name is derived from the patron saint of the city.
In the former municipality of Watervliet, now part of St.Laureins, the family name Lauweryn has been playing a major part since 1506, when Jeroen Lauweryn, chancellor and treasurer of Philip the Beautiful, Count of Flanders, reclaimed the inundated land.
The flag is: Gules, three fess wavy Argent, between the three fesses wavy Azure. Proportions are 2:3.
The flag was adopted on 7 May 1985.
Source: Flags of the Low Countries
Jarig Bakker, 21 October 2001