Last modified: 2002-10-19 by ivan sache
Keywords: vilvoorde | vilvorde |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Filip van Laenen
Vilvoorde (33,000 inhabitants) is located in the arrondissement of Halle-Vilvoorde.
The flag is: Gules, canton Or. Proportions are 2:3, and for the canton 1:1, where one side has a length half of the height of the flag.
The flag was adopted on 1 April 1985.
Source: Flags of the Low Countries
The municipal coat of arms is described as follows:
"Vilvoorde was fortified in 1192 and ever since considered a city. The oldest seal of the city is known since 1346 and shows a castle with two towers. The second seal, known since 1366 shows a more complex castle with two towers and two banners. The banner show a plain field with a free quarter in another colour (colours are unknown). The arms are based on the third seal, which showed the same composition as the present arms, including the banners beside the towers. The castle itself is a symbol of the fortified character of the city."
Jarig Bakker, 3 November 2001