Last modified: 2005-11-12 by ivan sache
Keywords: bever | bievene | axes: 6 (red) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Municipal flag of Bever - Image by Arnaud Leroy, 21 May 2005
The municipality of Bever (in French, Biévène; 1,982 inhabitants; 1,977 ha) is located in the south-west corner of the province of Flemish Brabant, a region known as Pajottenland, close to the neighbouring provinces of East Flanders and Hainaut. The municipality is composed of the big village of Bever and several hamlets, the most important of them being Burght, Bois d'Acren, Romont and Broeck.
The name of Bever is of Celtic origin; it comes either from beven, a
border, or beber, a beaver. The name of the village appeared in 946
in a document from the abbey of Gembloux. In the Middle Ages, Bever was split between the lordship of Rubempré-Renesse, transfered to the
Massiet family in 1621, and the main lordship of Hallut (Burght), later
transfered to the Croÿ family. The two lordships were suzereigns of the
Count of Hainaut; they had their own échevinage (municipal administration) and
In the XVIth and XVIIth century, Bever was trashed several times during the Religious Wars and suffered from starvation and epidemics. The wives of Liénard de Val and of Sébastien Cartier were burnt at the stake as witches in 1594 and 1595, respectively.
In 1963, Bever and a significant part of Bois d'Acren were transfered from Hainaut to (then united) Brabant, whereas the hamlets of Warissaet and Vert Chemin were incorporated to the municipality of Silly (Brabant). Bever is a municipality with "facilities" for the French-speakers.
The Brussels-Bever cyclist race was run from 1966 to 1973; it was mostly a Belgian affair, with only the Dutch Ronny van de Vijver winning in 1970. The race resumed in 1975 as Brussels-Bever-Brussels, and van de Vijver won once again. Rudy Pevenage was the last winner of the race in 1977.
Source: Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 21 May 2005
The municipal flag of Bever is green with the municipal coat of arms in the middle. According to Gemeentewapens in België - Vlaanderen en Brussel, the flag was imposed to the municipality by Ministerial Decree on 16 February 1993. The decree was published in the Belgian official gazette on 22 May 1993.
Green recalls that Bever is mostly a rural municipality (even if most of its inhabitants work today in Brussels).
The municipal arms of Bever were adopted by the Municipal Council on 8
December 1913 and confirmed by Royal Decree on 2 May 1914, published in
the Belgian official gazette on 24 May 1914. The original Decree was
lost and a new Royal Decree was signed on 21 July 1923 and published in
the Belgian official gazette on 15 September 1923.
The arms are:
Quartered one and four argent three fesses gules two and three three axes gules placed two and one.
They belonged to the Croÿ-Renty family.
These arms are also used on the municipal flag and arms of Londerzeel.
Arnaud Leroy, Pascal Vagnat & Ivan Sache, 21 May 2005