Last modified: 2005-11-12 by ivan sache
Keywords: berchem-sainte-agathe | sint-agatha-berchem |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Municipal flag of Berchem-Sainte-Agathe / Sint-Agatha-Berchem - Image by Arnaud Leroy, 22 May 2005
The municipality of Berchem-Sainte-Agathe / Sint-Agatha-Berchem (19,631 inhabitants; 2.95 sq. km) is located in the western border of the region of Brussels-Capitale; it is the most rural of the 19 municipalities forming the region.Berchem was a village until the Second World War. In 1922, architect Victor Bourgeois built there a garden city named the Cité Moderne. Urbanization started in the 1950s but industrialization remained limited to small and medium-sized businesses and social seats of big companies (Volvo Belgium). Parks, the Wilder wood and the Zavelenberg farm, with pastures where the last cows in Brussels still graze, have been kept in Berchem. Several health institutes are located in Berchem, such as the French Hospital, the Albert Laurent Clinic and a Regional Institute for children suffering from troubles of vision and audition.
Source: IrisNet website
Ivan Sache, 22 May 2005
The municipal flag of Berchem-Sainte-Agathe / Sint-Agatha-Berchem is quartered green and white. The flag is clearly derived from the municipal coat of arms, which is quartered vert and argent with a charge in each quarter.
Arnaud Leroy, Pascal Vagnat & Ivan Sache, 22 May 2005