Last modified: 2006-08-12 by bruce berry
Keywords: zimbabwe | mazoe |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 27 Dec 2004
Mazoe Sailing Club
The Mazoe Sailing Club was founded on the shores of the Mazoe Dam, some 40 km north of
Harare, the capital city of Zimbabwe.
In October 1936, Captain Norman Greensdale was allowed to sail on the dam by its owner, the British South Africa Company. The Mazoe Sailing
Club was formally incorporated on 4 July 1937 and the opening cruise took place in 1938. Sir Herbert Stanley, then Governor of South Rhodesia,
took part at a club dinner in 1939. At that time the Club's membership was 96, with 16 boats. In 1951, the Mazoe Dam was filled by excessive rains and the club was moved to Lake McIlwaine, closer to Harare (then called Salisbury).
The burgee of the Mazoe Sailing Club is shown on the club website as orange with a green decentered cross and the Great Zimbabwe Bird in the canton. However, the description of the burgee is given as an orange cross on a green field! The colours represent the oranges and the green foliage of Mazoe Citrus Estate. Permission to use the national symbol has been granted by the government of Zimbabwe.
Ivan Sache, 27 Dec 2004