Last modified: 2004-08-07 by dov gutterman
Keywords: cojedes | san carlos de austria | austria | san carlos |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Eudhen Perdomo, 14 May 2004
The Flag and Coat of Arms of San Carlos Municipality of
Cojedes State, tahnks to the valuable contribution of Mr. Eudhen
The Flag - Attributes and Semiology: It consists in a field with approximated ratio 2:3; this is, square and half of length, divided in three horizontal stripes with equal size: green (superior), yellow (central) and orange (inferior). Complements the design the diagonally placed facade of "Casa La Blanquera" something like "The White Place's House") on the center of yellow stripe and the Municipality' Coat of Arms to the canton on the green stripe. The green stripe symbolizes the reborn of a hope; the yellow one remembers the wealth of earth and rivers of the Municipality and the orange stripe alludes to the dusk of the plains region in which it's located. The Blanquera House, local historical monument and the Coat of Arms reaffirms the municipal identity.
Historical Synthesis: It was designed by Professor Jenny Moreno de Durán, instituted by Mayor's Decree Nº 008-94 and declared Official Flag of the Municipality by means of the Decree Nº 029 on December 8th, 1994.
Coat of Arms - Attributes: Consists in an English shape divided per fess, the chief per pale. The Dexter Quarter of the Chief enameled in Argent (white) charges the outlined representation of a colonial facade in Sable (black). The Sinister Quarter of the Chief enameled in Or (yellow), presents a woman armed with a rifle, everything in its colors. The Quarter of the Base enameled in Azure (blue), charges three towers with cupolas, everything in Argent (white). As external ornaments the blazon shows a cornucopia upsetting its fruits as crest; to the dexter and the sinister appears two cords finished off in tassels and as supports the floating inscription "VILLA DE SAN CARLOS DE AUSTRIA" (Saint Charles of Austria Village) and an Or pennant which charges as mottoes the ephemeris "1678" to the dexter; "1978" to the sinister and "ABRIL 27" (April 27th) under the Base.
Semiology: On the First Quarter is represented a postal image of the facade of the so called "Casa La Blanquera": historical colonial mansion that the local tradition rebounds as the place where the Father of Our Country Simón Bolivar established for the Patriotic Army the strategy of Battle of Carabobo - decisive for Venezuelan Independency - on year 1821. On the Second Quarter appears a warrior woman which reminds the enlistment of Sancarlenian women in the Patriotic Army on year 1812: heroic gesture exalted by El Libertador in a proclamation pronounced in Trujillo. On the Third Quarter are represented the temples of the Immaculate Conception, (today Cathedral of San Carlos), Santo Domingo and San Juan Bautista: symbols of Christian faith that were not only scene for combat operations, but also quarters of the Independentist Army. The cornucopia alludes to to the fertility of Sancarlenian gruonds and its feracious farming conditions. The cords remember the used by Capuchin missionaries and represent the direct contribution of Friars Gabriel de San Lucar and Pedro de Berja, in the Foundation of Villa de San Carlos de Austria. The name whereupon was founded the city and the mottoes that precises the year of its foundation and the commemoration of its tricentenary, rebounds the regional identity.
Historical Synthesis: It was officially declared Coat of Arms by the authorities of then San Carlos District in Ordinary Session dated on April 16th, 1975 and its use has been regulated by means of Decree published on April 27th, 1975.
Sources: Material provided by Mr. Eudhen Perdomo, 2003
Raul Jesus Orta Pardo, 14 May 2004
by Eudhen Perdomo, 14 May 2004