Last modified: 2006-08-26 by rick wyatt
Keywords: houston county | texas | map |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Mason Kaye
The flag of Houston County was designed by Eliza H. Bishop of the Historical Commission for the county's 1987 sesquicentennial celebration. It consist of a white field bearing the name of Texas running down the hoist with the X replaced by a gold star. The letters T and A are red, the E and S blue. At the center of the flag is an outline map of the county divided into blue white and red triangles. An evergreen tree in natural colors appears in the center triangle, signifying that the county is in the piney woods region. Running across the top of the flag and into the map is the inscription "Houston County" in black, on two lines. Off the southeastern edge of the map appear the dates 1837-1987. The star replacing the X in Texas is a reminder that the state got its name from the local Tejas Indians.
Mason Kaye, 3 March 2004