Last modified: 2005-03-19 by rick wyatt
Keywords: pierre | south dakota |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The City Flag, designed by Henry M. Reed, was adopted at a City Commission meeting on May 25, 1937. The body of the flag was green, to represent Pierre as the green city of parks and lawns. In the center was an outline of the sate capitol with white letters "Pierre" above and "The Capital City" below. The border was scarlet, representing American Indian life which surrounded this area. The original flag contained miniature flags in each corner--American in the upper left, British in the upper right, French in the lower left, and Spanish in the lower right--representing the possessors of this territory since the discovery of America. Flags which were produced for everyday display did not have these miniatures.
Dov Gutterman, 29 December 2002