Last modified: 2006-08-26 by rick wyatt
Keywords: sylvania | ohio |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Blas Delgado Ortiz
source: GWAV website
Sylvania is in northwestern Ohio, adjoining the City of Toledo, on its western margin. The population of the City of Sylvania is 18,670 and Sylvania Township is 25,583 according to the 2002 census figures. Its webpage at www.cityofsylvania.com/Community/About/about.htm records
"Sylvania was founded in 1833 by Judge William Wilson and General David White. The heavily forested location prompted adoption of its name. In its early years Sylvania served the farms and general residential community with saw mills, tannery, barrel stave factory, grist mills, livery stables, and blacksmith shops. It was the center of rural life in this area. The first school was erected in 1834, and it served until 1844 when the Old Stone Academy was build. Sylvania was incorporated into a village in 1867, and reached city status on January 1, 1961."The flag can be obtained from the Mayor's office.