Last modified: 2006-07-29 by rick wyatt
Keywords: maumee | ohio | indian |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
located by Valentin Poposki, 10 November 2005
From Maumee Valley News - April 6 1960:
"In the 122-year history of Maumee, the community has never had a city flag - until this week, that is. Last weekend the city accepted delivery of the first of two of its official standards. The flag, with a royal blue field, trimmed in red and gold, will be turned over to the American Legion, Post 320, for their use in parades whenever they have occasion to march.
The second flag will remain in the council chambers of the City Building, and will be available for any group to use in parade.
Peh-Kes-Ina Si-Pio-Ue Tci-Ki-Wi, or "Beautiful River Valley" is the motto adopted by the city. Wade Baldwin, 111 Allen Street, himself an Indian, and an authority on the history and customs of local tribes, is responsible for the motto. A literal pronunciation from the Miami dialect is Pa-kis-si-na Se-pe-we Tci-ki-wi.
The Indian Head, which is the primary attention compeller, was designed by Charles Philips, First District Vice Commander of the Legion.
Harold Geitgey, 1153 Holgate Avenue, a member of the local legion post is responsible for the adoption of the flag. It was through his recommendation to City Council that brought about the appropriation necessary to purchase them.
The Maumee standard will be unfurled for the first time on Sunday, April 24th, 1960, when Post 320, American Legion, marches in the First District Legion Parade at Wauseon."
And from The Toledo Blade - Weekly Blade Section - April 16, 1985:
MAUMEE ONCE MORE FLINGS ITS OFFICIAL BLUE, INDIAN BANNERS TO THE BREEZESValentin Poposki, 10 November 2005
"The official flag of the city of Maumee is once more flying on the poles at the Municipal Building, 410 Conant St., the Community Building, and the fire station.
The flag, chosen from designs submitted by Ruth Thys in 1958, is royal blue, with the portrait of an Indian in full headdress in its center. Thirteen starts, depicting the 13 colonies, circle the Indian. At the bottom of the portrait are the Indian words Pek-Kos-Ina-Si-Po. At the time the first flag was presented in 1960, Wade Baldwin, a Maumee resident with Indian ancestry and a student of Indian lore and dance, said the words, from the Miami Indian dialect, meant "beautiful river valley." Mrs. Thys is the administrative assistant to F. Joseph Cory, director of public service. The late S.E. (Sally) Klewer, Maumee's well known municipal clerk, suggested the Indian motif in honor of the city's Indian heritage.
The flag was first displayed by the Maumee American Legion Post, marching in a Legion district parade in Wauseon on April 24, 1960. The flags of 1960 proved to be too delicate to fly outside. One was presented to the American Legion for use in parades and the other was placed in council chambers. Several flags of similar design on a white background are also owned by the city.