Last modified: 2006-07-29 by rick wyatt
Keywords: geauga county | ohio | maple leaf | copyright symbol |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
1953 - A Geauga County flag was chosen through a countywide contest held during Ohio's Sesquicentennial. The original flag is framed and exhibited on the first floor of the Courthouse. The "Stars and Maple Leaf" was designed by Chardon resident, 15 year old Ray Diedrich. The flag was restored to Geauga County in 1995 by Diedrich's sister, Jane Diedrich Peterson, and rededicated by the Geauga County Commissioners. A reproduction of the flag flies on designated holidays and special occasions on the William Burns Memorial Flagpole on the Courthouse lawn.
Dov Gutterman, 18 December 2002