Last modified: 2006-07-22 by rick wyatt
Keywords: new york | nassau county |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Blas Delgado, 26 February 2001
Communities in Nassau County:
An orange flag with the seal of the county in the center. The seal bears an outer white ring with the county and state name in blue, a golden disk, and a blue shape bearing a rampant lion and 6 gold spots.
What is now known as "Nassau County" was part of Queens County until 1899.
"Nassau" was a name given to the whole of Long Island by the British; it was
still used in the 1700's but fell into disuse (unlike the county names, which
survive only because official business refers to them, there was no such power
to enforce "Nassau" for the island). Of course, it was named for William.
When (Greater) New York City was consolidated in 1898, the western part of Queens joined, but the eastern part didn't. A year later, the eastern part formed its own county; after considering a few names, it settled on "Nassau," in homage to the old island name.
Nathan Lamm, 25 March 2002
The arms are those of the Dutch House of Nassau. The orange colour of the
field is a reminder of the Dutch and their national dynastic colours of orange
and blue. The Dutch were the colonial era rulers of Queens and what was to
become Nassau County. Originally, Nassau County was a part of Queens County.
When New York City consolidated in 1898, the citizens of Queens County's eastern
3 towns voted the following year NOT to join the new city. Instead they opted to
live in a new county which was named "Nassau".
Daniel S. Padovano, 20 November 2002
Queens County was in limbo for a year- the western part in New York City, the
eastern part not. Since two jurisdictions couldn't tax the same person, the
western residents were paying their taxes to the City, and the County was
getting nothing from them. This and other factors led the non-City parts to
become a new county, in 1899. (Part of one eastern town, the Rockaway Peninsula,
became part of the City.)
Nathan Lamm, 21 November 2002