Last modified: 2005-02-06 by rick wyatt
Keywords: cumberland county | new jersey |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by António Martins-Tuválkin, 14 January 2002
The Cumberland County flag was adopted in September 1955.
Source: David Martucci: "The flags of New Jersey" in Flag Bulletin X:2-3 (from III.ICV); Flag Research Center Winchester
Jens Pattke, 4 May 2001
Cumberland's pride in its Liberty Bell is reflected in its official flag
executed in 1955 from a design unanimously adopted by resolution of the Board of
Chosen Freeholders earlier that year. The banner is displayed in the Freeholders
Room at the courthouse and is used on ceremonial occasions.
The flag was designed by J. Landis Meade and was adopted as the official insignia by the freeholders in 1955. Cumberland County split from Salem County in 1748, which is represented in the red lettering on the flag. The buff and sky blue of the diagonally quartered primary portion represent the colors of the uniforms worn by the Continental troops in the Revolutionary War. The insignia of a bell in the central portion of deep blue is a likeness of Cumberland's own Liberty Bell. The bell, bearing the date of independence, is surrounded by 14 stars positioned at random, each representing a municipal subdivision in the county at the time.
António Martins-Tuválkin, 14 January 2002