Last modified: 2005-12-17 by rick wyatt
Keywords: madison county | indiana |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
From the Madison County Code of Ordinances, adopted May 3, 1982, section 1-2-2-1: "The Madison County flag has the following design: a white circle, centered on a field of gold, the upper half of the inside rim of the circle
inscribed "Madison County", the lower half of the inside rim inscribed "Indiana", both inscriptions in black letters; shield centred in circle, divided into thirds; the upper horizontal third being royal blue, with the date "1823" in white numerals, centered; the left vertical third with four red and three white alternating vertical stripes; the right vertical third showing a gold sun, rising from a gold plain." Annotation states "Mr. Jack Parnell designed the Madison County flag for the Madison County sesquicentennial celebration of 1973."
Bradley King, 24 July 2002
Also from the Madison County Code of Ordinances, enacted May 3, 1982, section 1-2-2.5-1: "The Adams Township flag has the following design: a field of blue, with three red and two white alternating horizontal stripes; four white stars centered along the bottom of the field, the letters "Twp." inscribed in white and centered above the row of stars; the word "Adams" inscribed in white letters and centered above the letters "Twp." in an arch." Annotation notes "The Adams Township flag was designed by Mrs. Ruth Dane of Markleville, and raised on September 11, 1976. 'The field of blue stands for loyalty. The four stars represent the first four township settlements: New Columbus, Markleville, Emporia, and Alliance Station. The white stripes mark the emblem with purity, light, joy, and the faith our forefathers had to settle here. The red stripes proclaim the courage that inspired them to face the danger from the conquest of the wilderness [and] each... depicts a precinct of this township."