Last modified: 2006-08-05 by rick wyatt
Keywords: keokuk county | iowa |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Keokuk County (11,400 inhabitants in 2002; 1,502 sq. km) is located in the
south-east of Iowa.
Some historical details from the official Keokuk County website:
"Keokuk is named after a famous Sac Indian Chief. The name means "Watchful Fox" or "He Who Has Been Everywhere". Chief Keokuk advocated peace with the white settlers. Indians that dwelt in this area were the Sac and Fox tribes. Keokuk County was opened up for settlement in May 1843 and the organization of Keokuk County began in 1844. Before this time the county was attached to Washington County. The location of the county seat of justice was a source of controversy. The southeastern portion of the county was the first to be settled so the people there felt that the county seat should be located in the center of the population distribution rather than in the geographical center. The debate over the county seat location continued throughout the years. After lengthy discussions the commissioners moved the official location of the county seat to the town of Sigourney in 1856. Sigourney was named after the author and poet Lydia Huntley Sigourney."
A more detailed history of the early years of Keokuk County can be found on the Iowa Genealogy website: http://www.beforetime.net/iowagenealogy/keokuk/index.html
On 31 July 2006, "The Sigourney News-Review" reports:
"Residents Honored By Flag Presentations
The Keokuk County Republicans gave away a Keokuk County flag and an
American flag flown over the State of Iowa Capitol building. The US flag was
donated by the Republican central committee and the County flag was donated by
Keokuk County Attorney, John Schroeder."
Unfortunately, nothing is said about the design of Keokuk County flag and there is no image provided.
Ivan Sache, 31 July 2006