Buy State Flags from Allstate FlagsBuy US flags from Five Star Flags
This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Mikolayiv (Mikolayiv, Ukraine)

Mykolaiv, Nikolaev

Last modified: 2004-08-07 by dov gutterman
Keywords: mikolayiv | nikolaev | mykolaiv | ship | anchor | olvia | st. mykolai |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


from the site of Ukrainian Heraldry

See also:

The Flag

From the site of Ukrainian Heraldry:
"The first flag of city was consecrated per day of centenary anniversary. G.Ge in "A historical sketch of centenary existence of city of Mykolaiv at an ostium Inhul" describes a flag so: "the Mykolaiv public board has created a new urban flag from a white satiny panel, on which both sides is the new coat of arms of city. On the upper extremity flagstaff in gilt spear the through thread files: above - name of the Emperor Alexander III, and in middle, between digits 1790 and 1890, - silver name of Katheryna II". The flag was similar to the flag, affirmed earlier by the emperor, of the Sevastopol chief of the city administration - white panel with the coat of arms of city.
At July 2, 1999, Mykolaiv again was received by the flag. "The rectangular panel of white colour with two sinuous horizontal bars, on which on centre of a flag is necessary the image of city emblem of height 2/5 widths of a flag. Width anyone from bars equals 1/8 widths of a flag. The bars are separated one from one narrow white bar, which size constitutes 1/16 widths of a flag. A relation of width of a flag to its length - 2:3. The reverse side of a flag is by mirror mapping of the front". The white colour means the world and health of the city dwellers two sinuous light-blue bars are a character of two rivers, in which ostium the city of Mykolaiv was founded. September 10, 1999 per day 210 of Mykolaiv, the flag is consecrated and is lifted above city council."
Dov Gutterman, 19 November 2000

Coat of Arms

from the site of Ukrainian Heraldry

From the site of Ukrainian Heraldry:
"The modern coat of arms was approved in September 26 1997. In the azure field on silver wavy outlying there is a or ship with sable oar, accompanied in the head of a board by or bishop mitre on two crosswise croziers. The board is crowned by a silver crown and it is on two or anchors connected by the Alexander's stripe."
Dov Gutterman, 19 November 2000

The City

Soviet era name: Nikolaev.
Antonio Martins, 10 July 1999

From the site of Ukrainian Heraldry:
"Historical documents testify that Bugs lagoon was settled by the ancient Greeks who had founded a town and named it Olvia. On the 21st of July 1789 in the mouth of the Ingul river there was laid a shipyard. In a year the shipyard was named Mykolaiv in honor of St.Mykolai, the protector of all sailors."
Dov Gutterman, 19 November 2000