Last modified: 2003-05-31 by santiago dotor
Keywords: princess | rajawong noi fai nai | garuda | disc (yellow) | swallowtailed (red) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
(click on image to see full-size detail)
by Calvin Paige Herring and Santiago Dotor
Flag adopted 1911
From the Singha Beer source:
Rajawong Noi (Fai Nai)
The Rajawong Noi Fai Nai is divided into two parts; the left hand side which is dark blue and measures less than 60 centimetres, contains a yellow circle in the center, in the middle of which sits the red garuda emblem. The right hand section is a red pennant which gradually tapers off into the shape of a bird's tail. This is flown whenever an order has been issued by His Majesty that there be no 21 gun salute.
The flag was initiated in B.E.2453 [1910 AD] by King Rama VI for use by Princesses. Later, in accordance with a special Royal Decree of B.E.2481 [1938 AD], the flag was used to denote the presence of the Princess Mother or the daughters or sisters of the King. The two flags [Rajawong Yai Fai Nai and Rajawong Noi Fai Nai] have been in use ever since right down to the present time.
Santiago Dotor, 27 October 1999