Last modified: 2003-08-09 by jarig bakker
Keywords: svaty jur | saint george |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Sväty Jur (St. George) is 13 km north of Bratislava. This little
town was founded in the middle of the 13th century after the Tartar invasion.
It was given town privileges in 1299. It was made a royal town in 1647
and was destroywed by the Turks in 1666. There are vineries in Svätý
Jur and the biggest race course in Slovakia.
Svätý Jur (1948-1992 Jur pri Bratislave, in Hungarian Szentgyörgy,
in German Sankt Georgen) was in Pozsony (Slovakian: Pre¹porok) County
of the Kingdom of Hungary till 1919/1920 (Declaration of Martin / Treaty
of Trianon). 1920-1938 part of Czechoslovakia, 1939-1945 part of Slovakia,
and 1945-1992 part of Czechoslovakia. First mentioned in 1217. Gothic Sankt
István Molnár, 20 Jun 2000