This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
Spisská Nová Ves okres, Kosice region
Last modified: 2004-09-18 by jarig bakker
Keywords: rudnany |
Links: FOTW homepage |
disclaimer and copyright |
write us |
This page is best viewed with ISO:8859-2, aka
Latin2, aka Central European fonts
by Gunnar Staack, 28 August 2000
adopted 17 Nov 1998
Rudňany municipality flag
Image based on the Heraldický Register Slovenskej Republiky III, 2003
- Rudňany, district Spišská Nová Ves, Košice region - adopted 17 Nov 1998.
Rudnany lies in a beautiful natural area in northern part of Slovak
rudohorie. It is 15 km far from a district town. Koterbachy territory (Rudnany
nowadays) used to belong to aristocratic family of Mariassys for ages.
It is said the family founded a village Cugerbach (according to copper)
which was mentioned in documents in 1332. Rudnany gradually became a forefront
supplier of raw iron ore. Local mines were nationalized in 1946 and integrated
to n. p. ZB (national factory). Muffling of mining in last years affected
Rudnany, too. Its result is a high unemployment. In 1999 a Mining guild
was found to preserve tradition of mining habits. Since 1992 Rudnany has
its own escutcheon and flag.
Today population of the village is 3,166 people. Local authorities
concentrate upon activities for improvement of the environment. Rudnany
has 17 local roads and is fully equipped by gas. In last years reconstruction
of a council-house, post office, savings bank and health centre has been
done. We have also reconstructed former house of flatlets and accommodated
24 almost young families there. Former mining buildings have been rebuilt
to 31 flats for Gipsies. Local board for pensioners has been provided and
a new cemetery with Burial House and urn wall has been built.
Memorial of mortal work accidents with names of 83 miners is dedicated
to victims of mining accidents from 1943 to 1994. Sports centre in Zimna
Valley is used for spending leisure time. In front of the council-house
there are escutcheons of Rudnany fixed - the one of the village and the
other one of Roman Catholic church dedicated to St. Clement, patron of
István Molnár, 18 Sep 2000
image from the same source.