Buy State Flags from Allstate FlagsBuy US flags from Five Star Flags
This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Namestovo city (Slovakia)

Námestovo okres, Zilina region

Last modified: 2004-09-10 by jarig bakker
Keywords: namestovo |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

This page is best viewed with ISO:8859-2, aka Latin2, aka Central European fonts[Námestovo flag] by Jarig Bakker, 23 Jan 2001 See also:

Námestovo flag

Námestovo: three stripes yellow over black over white.
Aleš Křižan, 22 Jan 2001

Namestovo was established by the "Valachi Law" at the beginning of the second half of 19th century. The settlement gradually increased due to immigration of people from other villages owned by Orava Castle. The economic development of Namestovo was influenced by its location on the trade route to Polish market towns. June 14th 1776 Maria Teresia granted Namestovo the privilege of holding a town market and in 1777 it became the district seat. The year 1878 was also important for Namestovo because the Orava people gained the privilege to conduct business in the linen trade. In 1884 linen tradesmen founded the Upper Orava Linen-makers Union. The economy of the town was based on crafts and agriculture and its development until the end of 19th century was especially influenced by the linen trade. By the beginning of 20th century Namestovo's linen trade was unable to adapt to industrialisation and its productivity gradually declined. As a result the economy of Namestovo suffered. The character of Namestovo remained unchanged during 1st Czechoslovak Republic (1918 -1945). Namestovo was severely damaged during battles in 1945. It had to be rebuilt from the foundations. An important milestone in the history of Namestovo was 1612 when Juraj Thurzo allowed the town mayor to establish a personage. According to the documents they established a personage, a school and a wooden parish church. Records from 1655-58 document the building of stone church. There were fires in 1877, 1906 and 1945. In 1917 the church bells were requisitioned and in 1945 they were melted in a fire. The new bells were bought whit donations from local parishioners and American Slovaks and were dedicated to St. Simon and Jude, St. Cyril and Metodeus, the Patron Saint of Slovakia St. Catherine and the passing-bell to St. Joseph. The major reconstruction was done in 1980's. The church has priceless artifacts: the baroque sculptures of St. Barbora and St. Catherine from 18th century, pacifical by the artist Szilassi from 1743, the main altar, two side altars and a pupils are from the mid of 19th century. The construction of Orava dam and industrialisation changes the life of Namestovo inhabitants. Info from the Namestovo website.
Jarig Bakker, 23 Jan 2001

Námestovo 1991 flag

[Námestovo 1991 flag] submitted through Rob Raeside, 26 July 1999

Námestovo new Coat of Arms

[Námestovo new Coat of Arms] from this website.

That "new" emblem is in fact older than that with bear (of Orava/Árva County) over the water (symbol of Orava Dam Lake) from 1986. The renewed symbol shows the Imperial double - headed eagle (today is to be blasoned: Argent a double - headed Eagle Sable armed and langued or, holding the sword and orb proper. In chief an Imperial Crown proper) and Saint Simon and Saint Juda as supporters and it came from the year 1777.
Aleš Křižan, 22 Jan 2001

Námestovo Coat of Arms

Námestovo Coat of Arms from . (!Link does not work any more!)