Buy State Flags from Allstate FlagsBuy US flags from Five Star Flags
This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Komárno city, Slovakia

Komárno okres, Nitrianský kraj

Last modified: 2005-07-23 by jarig bakker
Keywords: komarno | swallowtail | komarom | castle |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




This page is best viewed with ISO:8859-2, aka Latin2, aka Central European fonts

See also:


Komárno flag

Komárno flag submitted through Rob Raeside, 20 July 1999

Komárno (in Hungarian: Komárom) has 37.346 inhabitants (63,6% Hungarian; 1990 census). The town was in Komárom (in Slovakian Komárno) County of Hungary till 1919/1920 (Czechoslovakian occupation). 1920-1938 Czechoslovakian, 1938-1944 Hungarian (after the Decision of Vienna). The Treaty of Paris (1947) reallocated it to Czechoslovakia. The city was the biggest fortress in Central Europe
István Molnár, 12 June 2000


Komárno flag of 1941

[Komárno 1941 flag] by Jan Kravčík, 13 June 2000

In 1941 S. Széll mentioned the flag with the red-yellow-green order of stripes and without the coat of arms.
Source: 'Városaink neve, címere és lobogója' by S. Széll, Budapest 1941.
Jan Kravčík, 13 June 2000


Komárno 1979 flag

[Komárno 1979 flag] by Jan Kravčík, 13 June 2000

The flag of the city in 1979. The original coat of arms used on the flag in the past until 1945 was replaced in 1976 by modifed arms put into the circular field with the description KOMÁRNO. On the obverse side is a blue circular field with the symbols of a socialist city - white ship (representing the docks), blue rivers (junction of Váh and Danube), yellow wheat ear and white and red rectangle (representing urban development).
Source: 'Klíc k našim mestum', by Karel Liška and Ludvík Mucha, Práce (ed), Prague, 1979
Jan Kravčík, 13 June 2000


Komárno Coat of Arms.

[Komárno Coat of Arms] from Ralf Hartemink's site.

The arms first appear in the seal of the city from the first half of the 15th century, and are a typical image for a city. To distinguish the composition from those of other cities the two stars were added. The arms were officially granted in 1745, with the castle now placed on an island between the two rivers Danube and Waag. The arms have not changed since.
Jarig Bakker