Last modified: 2006-09-14 by ivan sache
Keywords: trzin | fritillary (red) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Municipal flag of Trzin - Image by Željko Heimer, 19 April 2004
The flag and arms of Trzin are prescribed by decision Odlok o grbu in zastavi Občine Trzin, adopted on 6 March 2000. The text of the decision is available on the municipal website.
The flag is in proportion 1:2, horizontally divided dark red-golden yellow, with the municipal coat of arms in the middle. The width of the coat of arms is half the flag height.
Stanič [stj05] gives the colour specification, which are not included in the Decision, according to a system which must be based on the Slovene names of the colours: RD (rdeža),red; RM (rumena), yellow; ČR (črna), black; MD (modra), blue; and ZL (zlata), golden.
Željko Heimer, 15 June 2006
Coat of arms of Trzin - Image by Željko Heimer, 19 April 2004
The flower on the coat of arms is the močvirska logavica or močvirski tulipan (marsh tulip), which also appears on the arms and flags of Brezovica and Ig.It is shown on a golden shield with five dark red petals with silver dots, a black pistil and stamens and five green leaves.
Željko Heimer, 19 April 2004
Fritillaries are close relatives of
Fritillary represents the botanical genus Fritillaria (Caperon) L., family Liliaceae. The name of the plant comes from Latin fritillus, dice cup, probably in relation to the shape of the flower and the checkered distribution of purple spots on the petals.
The most common wild species of fritillary is Fritillaria meleagris L. Meleagris was the Greek name of guinea-fowl. Linnaeus used this epithet as a reference to the common name of the flower, guinea-fowl egg (probably from its bulb). In France, the flower was also called damier (chequerboard) or coquelourde.
Wild fritillary grows in damp meadows, and it is therefore not surprising to see it placed beside the reed on the blazon. There are a few other fritillary species, most of them being endemic, endangered (if not extincted) species.
In 1575, Fritillaria imperialis L. was introduced in Western Europe from Constantinople. The introduction occurred during the 'tulip extravagance', which started in 1554 with the first introduction of a tulip and ended in February 1637 in a financial krach. F. imperialis, a.k.a. 'Imperial crown' is widely grown in gardens and also grows as subspontaneous populations (initially established following 'escape' from gardens.)
Ivan Sache, 30 December 2001