Last modified: 2006-05-06 by ivan sache
Keywords: kanal ob soci | roses: 3 (yellow) | bridge (white) | fishes: 3 (white) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Željko Heimer
The municipality of Kanal ob Kanal ob Soči (Soča being the Slovene name of the river known in Italian as Isonzo, a site of long battles in the First World War) is located some 10 km north of Nova Gorica, on the Italian border. It was formed in 1995 by secession from Nova Gorica. The town of Kanal ob Soči is on the site of an important river crossing over Soča, where there is a masoned bridge, as shown on the municipal coat of arms.
Željko Heimer, 18 December 2003
The flag and arms of Kanal ob Soči are prescribed by Decision Odlok o grbu, zastavi, pečatu in občinske prazniku Obč Kanal ob Soči, adopted on 27 November 1997 and published on 19 December 1997 in the official local gazette Primorske novice - Uradne objave, 44/1997.
The flag is in proportion 1:2, vertically divided blue-white-blue with the municipal coat of arms in the middle.
The flag is prescribed in the horizontal version only and shall not be hoisted at an angle over 45 degrees. The height of the coat of arms shall be between 2/3 and 1/2 of the flag height.
Željko Heimer, 22 September 2005
by Željko Heimer
The coat of arms of Kanal ob Soči shows a white one-arched masoned bridge, in chief vert three roses or and in base azure three fishes nainaint one and two. The three roses are not all of the same design: the two outer are identical but the middle one is different. They are based on the decoration of the Gothic St. Kancian church in Britof. The bridge is, of course, the one crossing the Soča river, shown as the blue field in the base with three trouts, said to represent honesty. The shield is surmonted by a mural crown.
Stanič [stj05] shows four seals used by the local administration between 1885 and 1923, all of them showing the masoned bridge with two arches.
Željko Heimer, 11 February 2006